Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Back To Basics

Lately all I have heard about is canning chicken. Maybe because I am home now and not working and up to date on what is going on in the home front. Debbie told me about this when she was here and since then I have heard so much more about it. I know they used to do this in the olden days...but I was quite surprised to hear that this is so big right now. There was a great sale on chicken so we decided it was time. Nicole and I took the plung and bought a pressure canner. In the last two days we have canned over 80 lbs. of chicken. For anyone that has done this they know that this represents a ton of time. From start to finish of one batch it takes about 4 hours. I must say that it doesn't look very appealing......we did open a bottle to test.....it was very doable and tasted good to me. It is just a great feeling to have protein on the shelf. I hope to be able to rotate this and use it. How great to just open a bottle and have a fresh chicken salad.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Though we never know when we will face a challenge that will require us to depend on the resources we have stored, we know that the Lord has said, “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear” (D&C 38:30). "August Ensign 2007"

4 comments:

Darcie said...

How very very very impressed I am!

Nicole said...

Chicken chicken chicken... it looks so great on my shelf :) I love it! You up for pears next week??? ha ha

Emily Redd said...

WOW! that is seriously IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

The Sieverts said...

I want to do some!