Thursday, September 25, 2008

Reaping The Harvest


I absolutely love everything about this time of year! Life seems to slow down somewhat with school creating a natural schedule. The weather is perfect! The nights are cool , you can just feel Fall in the air and the mountains are starting to come alive with color. This time of year brings the harvest of all the seasons produce. It brings a great sense of satisfaction to open your freezer and see jars of fresh jam, bags of frozen raspberries, corn off the cob and bags of fruit. I feel ready for winter to come. It seems like the raspberries and peaches come and go so quickly. One of our favorite things to make is fresh fruit cup. It's always a good excuse to pull the girls together for a girls night.












This year we whipped through 3 cases of peaches and I wish I would of done more. I may sneak another few batches. I thought I would share this recipe, it is easy and pretty quick, one of our favorites. There is nothing better than serving your guests a medley of fresh fruit in the dead of winter.

Fresh Fruit Cup

2 Quarts of cut up peaches
2 Cups of sugar
1 can crushed pineapple (20 oz.)
1/2 Cup lemon juice
1 1/3 Cup fresh orange juice
3/4 Cup green grapes

Add all ingredients in a large bowl and stir for about 5-7 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Put in bags or containers and freeze.

When this is taken out of the freezer to use, you can add anthing to it. Blueberries, bannanas, strawberries, etc. I always usually add a bag of my frozen raspberries and fresh bannanas. Also with the grapes, I have started to use both green and red. It just adds some color to have the red grapes in it. This is meant to be kind of slushy when you eat it, not fully thawed out! YUMMY!

4 comments:

The Sieverts said...

Yummy. I want to do that w/ you next time? is there room for another girl?

Debbie said...

Sounds good...I will test it when I come for quilting. I will expect a nice breakfast of fruit cup when I walk in to quilt!

Jenny Rossi said...

AHHH you gave the recipe for the fruit cup!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!!! Thats one of the most amazing Monsen treats there is, you are in a giving mood Linda Monsen! :) haha LOVE THESE for real!

Nicole said...

Thanks for the fun night and all the yummy fruit cup mom! Love you